Recommended Maintenance Schedule
Suggested by your local mechanic…
With proper maintenance, you can extend vehicle life… even double or triple the top performance years. This checklist, provided by Good News Garage right here in Salmon Idaho will help keep you on track
- Check your engine oil. Use the correct viscosity to keep optimum oil levels.
- Check coolant level in your radiator. If necessary, add water or anti-freeze.
- Check the outside of your car or truck for dents, paint scratches, chips, rust. Repair any damage.
Consult with your mechanic during your regular tuneups so that you know the proper levels for your auto.
- Check all tires for equal and proper air pressure – don’t forget to check the spare! Add air if required.
- If you have an unsealed battery check for proper battery fluid. Add water if necessary.
- Check power-steering pump reservoir for proper fluid levels. Add fluid if needed.
Take the guess work out of your regular maintenance by having your local mechanic walk you through it the first time. Take notes and record the proper levels for tire pressure so you aren’t guessing later.
Three months or 3,000 miles (whichever comes first):
- Oil change
- Oil filter change
- Automatic-transmission fluid level check. If necessary add more fluid, or change if dirty.
- Belt check (drive belts, fan belts). Replace as needed.
- Adjust drum brakes with manual adjusters.
Six months or 6,000 miles:
- Carburetor check. Replace or tune up.
- Pollution-control check. Adjust equipment if needed.
- Spark plug check. Recommended to replace.
- Clutch check. Adjust free play if required.
- Differential and manual transmission check. Add oil if needed.
- Brake fluid check. Check level in master cylinder reservoir. Add brake fluid if necessary.
- Tire rotation.
- Have headlights aimed.
- Check air condition sight glass (if any). Add refrigerant if required.
- Lubricate all locks and hinges.
- Grease all chassis fittings.
- Wax car body.
Yearly or 12,000 miles:
- Brake linking inspection. Replace if necessary.
- Major tune-up including replacing points, plugs, filters, carburetor adjustments, ignition system and pollution-control equipment.
- Check and repack wheel bearings.
- Air filter replacement.
- Fuel filter replacement
- Flush radiator and heater core. Replace antifreeze.
- Front-end alignment checked and corrected if needed.
- Wiper blade replacement.
- Clean crankcase breather cap.
- Tighten bolts on engine manifolds.
- Have automatic transmission bands adjusted (if possible).
- Adjust valve clearance (if required on your car).
Every Two years or 24,000 miles:
- Replace PCV (positive crankcase ventilating) valve.
- Bleed brake system and replace brake fluid.
- Replace automatic transmission fluid and filter.
Every Three years or 30,000 miles:
- Replace all cooling system and heater hoses.
- Replace oil in differential and manual transmission.
- Test ignition cables and replace if needed. Every 50,000 miles:
- Replace catalytic converter (on cars so equipped).